It’s always good to have some kind of snack mix available for those times when folks stop by to chat or visit. I think we did more of that years ago but hospitality doesn’t have to stop because a generation passed away. The General Foods inspired Chex Party Homemade Mix recipe below has been modified over the years and the one shown below is for those with celiac disease or are gluten intolerant. Eliminate the nuts of course if you need a mix for those with peanut or nut allergies. You may want to substitute other brands for the one’s listed. We had a friend who kept bags of chex mix trail mix in the freezer for when family and friends showed up. This is the perfect sweet and salty mix and an alternative to other snacks that aren’t enough to go around.
- 3 cups Corn Chex™ cereal
- 3 cups Rice Chex™ cereal
- 3 cups Whole O’s™ cereal
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1 cup Snyders Gluten Free mini-size pretzels
- 1 cup Glutino garlic-flavor bite-size bagel chips
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons French’s GF Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- In a large bowl mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and bagel chips.
- In small bowl melt butter until melted. Stir in seasonings. Pour over cereal mixture. Coat evenly.
- Pre-heat oven to 250F. Spread mixture into ungreased pan and bake for about an hour, stirring ever 15-minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool.
- Gluten Free mix can be frozen to have ready for those planned or spontaneous guests
General Mills Gluten Free Journey